Statement of Governance and Regent Responsibilities
The Board of Regents develops and advances CoROM’s mission and goals. It ensures the institution is well managed, provides for adequate resources, and maintains good relations with all constituencies, on campus and across the globe. It appoints and evaluates the Executive Dean, approves, and monitors the implementation of institutional strategy and policies, provides accountability, and preserves the autonomy of the institution.
The Board assures that the Board has the requisite skills and experience to steward the institution and ensures that each Regent carries out his or her responsibilities as specified herein.
The CoROM Board of Regents is a small, working board that makes substantial demands of its members. Each Regent assigns a high priority to a stewardship role with a commitment to the strengths, traditions, and values of the institution and pledges to fulfill the following responsibilities:
Act as a responsible fiduciary
- Act in the best overall interest of CoROM.
- Make service to CoROM a high personal priority: participate constructively and consistently in the work of the Board and its committees and working groups; accept and discharge leadership positions and other assignments; work on behalf of CoROM between Board meetings; and attend as many CoROM functions as feasible.
- Prepare for meetings by reading the agenda and supporting material and by keeping informed about CoROM and trends and issues in higher education.
- Participate in rational, informed deliberations by considering reliable information, thinking critically, asking good questions and respecting diverse points of view, in order to reach decisions on the merits that are in the best interests of the institution.
- Use your own judgment in voting versus following the lead of others.
- Participate in self-evaluations and evaluations of Regent performance.
- In addition to serving on Board committees, Regents act as representatives to the College’s various boards of overseers, advisory groups, and affiliated medical entities. Attendance expectations for Regents serving on these bodies are set forth in an additional statement on Representation by the CoROM Board of Regents to other CoROM and non-CoROM Boards.
Advance the mission of CoROM
- Represent CoROM positively in words and deeds, particularly and proactively to CoROM constituents.
- Serve CoROM as a whole, rather than the interests of any constituency.
- Help CoROM secure the financial, human, and other resources necessary for the institution to achieve its mission.
- Contribute financially to the annual fund and to capital campaigns, within one’s means, at a level that demonstrates CoROM is a high philanthropic interest.
Uphold the integrity of the Board
- Maintain strict confidentiality of Board and committee meetings and of all information proprietary to CoROM.
- Speak for the Board only when authorized to do so by the Board Chair or President.
- Refrain from directing the Executive Dean or staff and from requesting special considerations or favors. The Executive Dean reports to the Board as a whole, and the staff to the Executive Dean.
- Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof, in accordance with the Board’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Adhere to the highest standards of personal and professional behavior so as to reflect favorably on CoROM.
Adopted by the Board of Regents, 1 January 2024.