RPP201 Foundations in Tropical and Austere Medicine
This module aims to introduce the concepts of tropical medicine and providing medical care in remote and austere conditions. It begins with the top ten infectious diseases found in tropical regions and expands to cover various treatments and procedures for assessment.
at the end of the module/unit the learner will have acquired the responsibility and autonomy to:
1. The delegate will learn to manage tropical infectious diseases that independently that require problem-solving techniques where there are many factors, some of which interact and lead to unpredictable outcomes.
2. The delegate will show creativity in managing tropical diseases, managing the medical team and reviewing performance of self and others; trains others to assist him during medical emergencies.
3. The delegate will express a comprehensive internalised personal world view by utilising the Gibbs reflective model for reflecting on past performance.
4. The delegate will learn skills to undertake further emergency medical studies with a degree of autonomy.
Knowledge – at the end of the module/unit the learner will have been exposed to the following:
1. The delegate will build on their foundational knowledge of Tropical Diseases and develop advanced concepts in medical treatment for infectious diseases found in remote and austere environments.
2. The delegate will develop strategic and creative responses in researching solutions to these diseases and will define a concrete and abstract solution.
3. The delegate will learn to makes judgements based on knowledge of relevant social and ethical issues surrounding Tropical Diseases including the treatments for infectious diseases found in resource poor environments.
at the end of the module/unit the learner will have mastered the following skills:
Applying knowledge and understanding
1. The delegate will understand advanced textbooks that will lead to further academic medical learning of infectious diseases and will research solutions to these abstract medical problems.
2. The delegate will demonstrate operational capacity and medical management skills to address infectious diseases using creativity and improvisation.
3. The delegate will interact with other medical team members to convey abstract and concrete medical solutions to infectious diseases.
4. The delegate will formulate practical and theoretical responses to diseases found in tropical locations and will make judgments on social and ethical issues pertaining to the medical casualty.
5. The delegate will evaluate their own medical learning and will improve key competences for further medical learning and will promote team training.
6. The delegate shows responsibility for the reflective and efficient management of medical emergencies within agreed timeframes.
Judgment Skills and Critical Abilities
1. The delegate will be able to assess and treat Tropical Diseases using Rapid Diagnostic Testing (RDT), basic microscope usage including blood smears and complete blood count, recognise the signs and symptoms of the top ten tropical diseases found worldwide.
2. The delegate will be able to assess and treat expedition emergencies, infectious diseases and Tropical Diseases found in resource poor environments.
3. The delegate will demonstrate understanding of the top ten infectious diseases found in tropical areas.
4. The delegate will demonstrate a fundamental understanding of how to assess and treat casualties presenting with tropical ailments and diseases.
5. The delegate will demonstrate a fundamental understanding of public health, epidemiology and how to conduct scientific research of tropical diseases.